Frequently Asked Questions

Who is homeless?

Anyone who, due to lack of housing, lives:

  • In a shelter or abandoned in hospitals
  • In a motel
  • In cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations
  • In a campground
  • On the street
  • Doubled up with relatives or friends due to economic hardship or loss of housing
  • Awaiting foster care placement
  • Migratory children who qualify as homeless because of any of the above
  • Children in foster care placements of less than six months
  • Unaccompanied youth not in the company of parents or legal guardians (runaways, abandoned youth, etc.)

Where can homeless children and youth attend school?


  • The school in which the child or youth was last enrolled (school of origin).
  • The school in the attendance area where the child or youth is temporarily living.

Can students experiencing homelessness be denied enrollment if the parent/guardian does not have proof of residency?

No.  The parent/guardian may sign an affidavit stating that the family is staying in temporary accommodations.

What if the parent/guardian does not have the school records for a child experiencing homelessness? 


  • Ask that the homeless child or youth be enrolled in school until the records arrive.
  • Ask that a student’s immunization records be transferred over the phone from the sending school to the receiving school.
  • Contact the Berrien County McKinney Project, your school district, principal, counselor, or local homeless education liaison with any concerns.

Contact Information

Sarah Dye
McKinney-Vento Grant Coordinator
Tel: 269-471-7725 ext. 3271
State Homeless Education Consultant (Michigan Dept. of Education)
Michelle Williams
Tel: 517-373-6066
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.