Berrien RESA can assist public schools with children who do not attend school regularly.
For the purpose of these guidelines, school truancy in Berrien County is defined as:
- any unexcused absences,
- pattern of unexcused absences that are established by a student during the school year,
- or a continuation of an attendance problem from past years
Berrien RESA will accept a referral from a local district that has met the following criteria:
- The school district has written communication and held a meeting with the parent/guardian regarding the student's excessive, unexcused absences.
- The student has 10+ unexcused days.
- The student is between the ages of 6-17.
The second Friday in April is the cut-off date for new truancy referrals. Referrals received after that date will not receive a certified truancy letter.
Contact Michelle Anderson
Truancy Officer & Pupil Accounting Auditor
269-471-7725 ext. 3191
Anxiety Coping Tips